Scuttle and the Posterior Tibial Artery

Who doesn't love The Little Mermaid?! I used to sing "Part of Your World" over and over again, pretend Lisa's dog was Max, and prayed for a beach vacation so I could impersonate Ariel for a week. Now, as I think back on all the memories, I realize the characters had given me some great tips and reminders over the years:
  • true friends will always be there, no matter what
  • don't be afraid to follow your dreams; persistence will pay off
  • actions speak way louder than words 
  • pulses can be found on the chest, neck, wrists, inside of the elbows, behind the knees, and by the ankles


I think julieyumi summarized it perfectly:
Ah, the Little Mermaid! ♥
I used to think it was pretty funny that Scuttle tried to listen to Prince Eric’s foot for signs of life, but he wasn’t so far off.  He has his thumb-feather placed exactly where he should be able to feel a pulse! The artery that’s located there is called the posterior tibial artery and it runs just underneath the ankle bone on the big-toe side of the foot (a.k.a., the medial malleolus). Try place your index and middle fingers there on your own foot and feel it!

Throwback to Anatomy and cadaver lab: Tom, Dick, and Harry.
The acronym used to remember the order of the artery, nerve, and three tendons of the the lower leg. 
Tibialis posterior, flexor digitorum longus, posterior tibial artery, tibial nerve, flexor hallicus longus

Anyway. The Little Mermaid is coming back to theaters September 2013 in 3D and I can't wait! Bet I won't be the only 30ish year old singing along with Ariel.

Comments

Popular Posts