Birthday!

My birthday is coming up soon and I rarely ever ask for presents... but... I kind of really want the Indie Rock Poster book! Or to see some of my favorite bands play in concert this year. 

I love the indie rock genre and am constantly listening to it when I'm working on anything. I also love the posters. Most of them give off a hand-drawn/mixed media quality that I really like to see/miss in art these days. The Yellow Bird Project is a collaboration between indie rock musicians and artists that creates shirts to raise money for the musician's choice in charities. Really awesome concept. Read their mission here.


The Band: Bon Iver
The Song: Skinny Love
The Artist: Jeremyville
He says: "Bon Iver founder Justin Vernon spent a winter in his father's cabin in Wisconsin, in the State's northwoods, recovering from an illness. Here he wrote and recorded most of this first album in a very lo fi way, and it was this ethic of independence, and his singular, evocative vision that first attracted me to his music. It is a way of working that resonates with me, as it's close to the way I like to work, alone with my sketchbook late at night, listening to music. If I could find a winter cabin to escape to, I think I would."
I wanted to draw a moment from those Wisconsin woods, and to try and evoke the feeling of that desolate winter alone in the cabin, trying to somehow find a way through.
The Band: Iron & Wine
The Song: The Trapeze Swinger
The Artist: Toby Triumph
He says: "I wanted this poster to represent different phases in a person's life, looking at how the people and places that surround us can change like chapters in a book, becoming a distant memory while a person can stay the same. I wanted the image to capture some of the still contemplation and reflection that speaks to me in this beautiful song."

Actually, either: the book, to see Band of Horses and Kings of Leon play in concert together, The Black Keys at Music Midtown, or the Tom Petty Live Anthology album.

...my favorite Learning to Fly version ever... with Stevie Nicks.

Comments

Popular Posts