Nature's Rainbows

I love everything in it's natural state. I think that explains why I love acoustic music and drawing sketches so much... Hearing the raw voice without any electronic adjustments plus the simple guitar is absolutely amazing to me. And I love sketches more than the finished piece itself because you're able to see the thought process of an artist; its the support and backbone of the actual work.

While camping in south Georgia's Cumberland Island, I came across what I thought was the most awesome thing I'd ever see in it's natural environment: a Painted Bunting. Of course you have multicolored birds that inhabit the tropics, but when will I ever make it there? Seeing something like this in Georgia and up-close was so great. I was able to follow it for quite a while until it flew off the hiking path.

Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris)

Then I came across pictures of the Rainbow Eucalyptus... Unbelievable!

Rainbow Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus deglupta)

These trees are only found naturally in the Northern Hemisphere: New Britain, New Guinea, Ceram, Sulawesi, and Mindanao. I have a mission one day to make a trip out there and see them with my own eyes. 
This tree is also grown for ornamental purposes, due to the showy multi-coloured streaks that cover the trunk. Patches of outer bark are shed annually at different times, showing the bright-green inner bark. This then darkens and matures to give blue, purple, orange and then maroon tones. ― Wikipedia
So gorgeous.

Comments

  1. These are fantastic, & I havent heard of either! You just added two new species to my official "to shoot" list.

    Im committed to one day getting to Papua New Guinea to get shots of the Birds of Paradise. Those little guys are so great. The males at least ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts