Leah's Intro

Plain and simple, art is an integral part of my life and always has been since I was able to pick up a crayon. I can remember at 4 years old spending Saturday afternoons at Dick and Frankie's house, sitting side-by-side with my twin, and drawing. It didn't matter what we had in our hands: crayons, markers, play-doh, cookie dough and sprinkles... we always found a way to make things look pretty.

Fast forward a decade plus a couple years later, I was introduced to my future career of Medical & Scientific Illustration by a dear friend named Danielle Wilcox. I met Danielle in a Photography course at the University of Georgia, and noticed one day she had drawn this incredible illustration of a bug. It was so full of detail and precision that I couldn't help but be blown away. I asked her about it, and from that conversation on, I knew this was a field I wanted to learn more about. Following this path was relatively easy as I've always had a love for science, anatomy, and figure drawing; but I never thought of mixing them all together. Now being in my late 20s, I inevitably found myself at the University of Illinois at Chicago pursuing my interest/turned career.

The human body, to say the least, is so amazing and complex―and to be able to describe it through art really is one of my most gratifying achievements. I can truly say this field is perfect for me.

Through this blog, I want to share all the things I find beautiful and that helps me grow as an artist. I can only hope to expand people's horizons and have others do the same with me. So please feel free to comment! I'll love it all.

© Danielle Wilcox
The illustration that ultimately got me into my field.

Comments

Popular Posts